What is the SPIL
The SPIL is the study association for students of Political Science and Political Science – International Relations and Organizations at the university of Leiden. With over a thousand members the SPIL is one of the biggest study associations of Leiden and The Hague. Throughout the whole year there are activities and excursions to the OPCW, Foreign Affairs, the Senate and the NRC (Dutch newspaper) to name a few. There are also activities more closely related to the study like a lecture boat, workshops and an intern and career evening. The SPIL also organizes study trips every year, a short trip within Europe and a long trip outside of Europe. During these trips a lot of political relevant organizations are visited to give people a broader understanding of the country. Last but not least the SPIL organizes informal activities like parties, pub quizzes and movie nights to name a few.
When can I get acquainted with the SPIL
There are a few opportunities for this. During the first year weekend for example in August. The SPIL also has stalls during the EL CID (Intro week Leiden) and the HOP-week (Introduction week Den Haag). There will also be a sociable drink organized in the first week of the new year college year. You could also always come say hi in our office (SB03) or join an activity.
How do I become a member
As a member of the SPIL you'll receive a lot of advantages.
- You'll be welcome at all the activities that the SPIL organizes. These are both activites relating to the study (like readings, debates and excursions) as social activities (parties and movie nights to name a few) during which you'll get to know your fellow students better. You can also choose to enlist for the study trips that the SPL organizes.
- Four times a year you'll get the semi-scientific Debat, written for students by students, send home.
- You'll receive a discount your study books. You can order your necessary books for the courses on our website. As a member you'll receive 16% discount on all books!
- You can improve upon your professional capabilities by joining a committee or to apply to join the board.
And all this for only 16 euros per year – which you'll have earned back in no time because of the discount on the books!
How can I become active at the SPIL?
It is of course essential to improve upon your academic capabilities during your time as a student. It is just as essential for students to improve upon their professional capabilities, which are not directly taught in the study. For students of Political Science and Political Science – International Relations and Organizations the SPIL is the ideal environment in which to develop these capabilities. At the beginning of each school year the board sets up interview rounds during which students can apply for a position in a committee. (An exception is the EJW committee which has interview rounds in December.) Every board member decides upon his or her own interview procedure for the committees which they’ll chair that year.
Click here to find out more about the committees and click here to enlist for one.
Can I buy my books from the SPIL site?
Please Note: the Study association for Political Science in Leiden (SPIL) can't take back bought books or give back money. If there are problems with your delivery please contact the customer support of Studystore. On their webshop you can find their contact data. Ordering your books from the SPIL is only possible if you are a member of the SPIL.
Guide to ordering books for SPIL members:
Step 1: Click here to go the welcome page of the book sale.
Step 2: Make an account. If you have log in.
Step 3: Select the correct book list and check the books that you require.
Step 4: When you've added all the books you require click next.
Step 5: After placing your order you'll receive a confirmation mail.
Where can I buy readers?
The SPIL doesn't sell readers. Readers are sold by the university and the SPIL isn't involved in this in any way. Click here to order readers.
When does my study have an introduction day?
Where can I see what courses I'll be following?
1. Go to https://studiegids.leidenuniv.nl/
2. Click on Bacheloropleidingen
3. Click on the letter P
4. Click on Political Science or Political Science: International Relations and organizations.
5. Then look at block 1.
Where can I see my schedule?
2. Click on Political Science or Political Science/IRO
- Click on Lectures
For the first block you will already be enrolled. You can look this up from the 28th of August
2. Log in
3. Click on Main menu
4. Click on Self Service
5. Click on Student Centre
6. Go to links other academic
7. Click on Class Schedule
8. Navigate to the first week of the college year.
How can I enrol via Usis?
In the first block you are not yet enrolled for your lectures.
2. Log in
3. Click on Main menu
4. Click on Self Service à Student Centre
5. Click on Enrolment add
6. Enrol by My requirements
7. Find your first block subjects
8. Click these
10. Click on Study year 2015-2016
11. Click on Continue
12. Find the lecture or exam
13. Check these
14. Click on to shopping cart
15. Go to Shopping cart
16. Select à enrol
17. Within a few days you'll receive an email on your umail account and the course or exam will have been added to your schedule
How to enroll via Blackboard?
2. Log in
3. At the top click on Courses
4. At the right click on Faculteit der Sociale Wetenschappen
5. Click on Browse Categories
6. Click Polticologie/Political Science
7. Click on Go
8. In the same window choice Bachelor year 1 Leiden
9. Click on Go
10. With your mouse hover over the Course ID of the course
11. Click on the arrow
12. Click on Enrol
I have a different question